Middletown Christian School has been experiencing a tremendous trial by fire, literally, this summer and fall. Their school has been surrounded by the Valley Fire and has been used as a base for Pacific Gas and Electric to deal with the aftermath of this disaster. After missing several weeks of school they are meeting again. However, five school families, including a teacher, have lost their homes in the fire. This small school family is hurting.
The school has 34 students enrolled. The fires have destroyed the homes of 6 of their students (17% of their enrolled students). Specifically, the school needs to waive the tuition for these families in order for them to stay enrolled. This will cost the school over $20,000 in tuition which they do not have in the bank.
ACSI, the accreditation agency that FCS is accredited through, is collecting donations and sending 100% of the funds raised to Middletown Christian to assist with the deficit created by the loss of tuition funds as well as to allow them to assist their families with the rebuilding process.
We are still encouraging school families to join Samaritan's Purse in their clean-up and rebuilding efforts in the wake of the Valley Fire tragedy.
Samaritan's Purse has partnered with Harvest Fellowship Church in Clear Lake. Their specific need is manpower to help recover items for families who have lost homes/buildings. Here are the details to help you understand the need/logistics.
- Help needed Monday – Saturday starting at 7:30 or 12:30. Sunday is 12:30
- A safety briefing will be given to new volunteers at the beginning of one of the shifts. One safety meeting is required for all participants one time.
- Samaritan Purse provides all tools and respirators.
- Singles or groups are encouraged to attend. If a group is going, please call in advance so they can accommodate you.
- If you are volunteering for one shift or a day, bring your own food. They provide water.
- If you are volunteering for three days or more, bring a cot or blow up mattress and they will provide the sleeping location. All food will be provided for people volunteering for three days or more as one continuous effort. Showers will be provided for people serving three days or more.
- No advance notice needed, unless you are a large group. Call ahead (number below)
- You can sign up online at www.spvolunteernetwork.org or call 707.239.1723 or show up and fill out the paperwork there.